Hall County is named for Lyman Hall, who was a signer of the Declaration of Independence.
Created: December 15, 1818
Gainesville 1818 – present
County Courthouse – Gainesville
Location: 225 Green Street / Broad Street
Built: 2000 – 2002
Architect: Steven B Hill and H Lloyd Hill Architects and Associates Inc.
Contractor: Ellis-Don Construction, Inc.
Description: The building faces southwest and is a four story dark red colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The entrance is located at the northwest corner on the first story with a recessed porch and glass panel walls. The first story has a series of arches along the first story. There are horizontal windows on the second and third stories and arched windows on the fourth story. The roof line is flat. A covered walkway extends northwest and the old courthouse is located across a courtyard on the southwest side of the building.
Old County Courthouse – Gainesville
Location: SW – Spring Street / Green Street
Built: 1936 – 1937
Style: Stripped Classical
Architect: Daniell and Beutell
Contractor: Charles Mion
Description: The building faces southeast and is a two story white colored stone and concrete structure. The southeast front has a projecting central section with a stone framed entrance in the center. The front has vertical pilasters between the windows and ornamentation below the roof line which has a decorative railing. There is a sloped roof with square white colored cupola with clock. The main part of the building extends southwest and northeast and has a flat roof line. An addition was designed by Jacobs, Matthews & Parker, Inc. and constructed in 1975 on the northwest side and is connected by a passage way.
Note: The courthouse constructed in 1886 was destroyed by a tornado on April 6, 1936.
S – Gwinnett County
Photos taken 2013