Pickens County is named for Andrew Pickens, who was a general during the American Revolutionary War and who led a campaign against the Cherokee Indians.
Created: December 5, 1853
Jasper 1853 – present
County Courthouse – Jasper
Location: 50 North Main Street / Depot Street
Built: 1949 – 1950
Style: Stripped Classical
Architect: Richard Nash and Eugene Bothwell of Bothwell and Nash
Contractor: Building Committee using convict labor
Description: The building faces west and is a three story white colored marble clad, red colored brick and concrete structure. The building was renovated in 2012 to 2013 and a large addition added on the east side. The building has a main entrance on the northwest corner of the second story and descends a slope towards the east side. There are large windows on the newer sections. The architect was JKH Architects of Dalton and the contractor was New South Construction of Atlanta.
Note: In 1949, the construction of the courthouse was completed by convict labor under the supervision of the Building Committee: Alonzo Cagle, Homer Chastain, T A Chastain, Carl Darnel, Will Evans, W A Hamrick, T E Johnson, O L Mullins, Will Poole, E L Sartor, Y T Tarple, L E Tate, Brady Turner and Paul Walker.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1859. The second courthouse was designed by Bruce & Morgan and constructed in 1888. The building burned in 1947.
County Government Center – Jasper
Location: 1266 East Church Street / Samaritan Drive
Built: 1966 – 1967
Architect: Laurence W Dabney & Associates
Contractor: Mann & Massee, Inc.
Description: The building faces northeast and is a one story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building was constructed as the Pickens County Hospital and sold to the county in 2006.
N – Gilmer County
E – Dawson County
S – Cherokee County
W – Gordon County
Photos taken 2013 and 2014