Habersham County is named for Joseph Habersham, who was a Continental Congress member, a soldier in the Continental Army and the Postmaster General of the United States.
Created: December 15, 1818
Clarkesville 1818 – present
County Courthouse – Clarkesville
Location: 555 Monroe Avenue / Washington Street
Built: 1964 – 1965
Architect: David Cuttino, Jr.
Contractor: Harper Builders Inc.
Description: The building faces southeast and is a three story buff colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The building sits on a side of a rise on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The southeast front has a large square yellow colored clock tower. The second story has large dark glass windows and the third story has vertical narrow windows. The building has a flat roof. In 1983, the combination bell tower and elevator were added to the front of the building. The building now houses the county administration.
County Judicial Center – Clarkesville
Location: 295 Llewellyn Street / Stanford Mill Road
Built: 2011 – 2013
Architect: HOK Group, Inc.
Contractor: Potts Construction Inc.
Description: The building faces north and is a four story steel frame, white colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located in the south part of the city on spacious landscaped grounds with a slope on the south side exposing the basement level.
Note: The project manager was Ponds & Company and other contractors were Erudite Engineers, Inc of Canton and Reeves + Young.
N – Rabun County
Photos taken 2008 and 2013