Rabun County is named for William Rabun, who was the thirty-first governor of Georgia from 1817 to 1819.
Created: December 15, 1818
Claytonsville 1821 – 1823
Clayton 1823 – present
County Courthouse – Clayton
Location: 25 Courthouse Square / West Savannah Street
Built: 1967 – 1968
Architect: John J Harte Associates Inc.
Contractor: Hagaman Construction Company Inc.
Description: The building faces east and is a two story gray colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The building sits on edge of a ravine. The east front has a large central section with high rectangular opening having a recessed entrance and large arched glass window above. Red colored brick faces the first story which has vertical concrete divides separating the windows. On the second story, the window banks protrude. The roof is green colored and a small square white cupola with clock and green colored dome rises from the building center.
Note: The first court was held at the residence of Daniel Love. The first courthouse was built in 1824. The second courthouse was built in 1838 until 1878. Court was held in the Masonic Lodge until 1908 when the third courthouse was designed by H L Lewman and constructed by Falls City Construction Company of Louisville, Kentucky.
E – Oconee County, South Carolina
S – Habersham County
W – Towns County
Photos taken 2008 and 2013