Fannin County

US States / O-U / Texas / Fannin County
Fannin

Fannin County is named for James Walker Fannin Jr.,  who was the commander of a group of Texans killed in the Goliad Massacre.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Bryan County, Oklahoma

E – Lamar County

S – Delta CountyHunt County and Collin County 

W – Collin County and Grayson County

 

Created:  December 14. 1837                Map of Texas highlighting Fannin County

County Seat: 

Warren       1838 – 1843

Bois D’Arc  1843 – 1844

Bonham      1844 – present

 

County Courthouse – Bonham  

 

Location:  100 East Sam Rayburn Drive / North Center Street

Built:  1887 – 1888 / 2018 – 2021

Style:  Art Deco / Clasical Revival

Architect:  Wesley Clark Dodson and Dudley / Architexas

Contractor:  Kane & Cormack / Turner Construction Company

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a three story Lueders limestone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Bonham. The south front has a projecting center section with recessed entrance on the first story. Above are vertical narrow windows with clock at the top. On the east and west are projecting sections with vertical windows. The roof line is flat. The building was restored in 1929 to 1930 after a fire. The architect was Sparger & Peters and the contractor was Allen & Bragg. The building was remodeled in 1965. The architect was Fred Buford & Associates of Dallas and the contractor was B-F-W Construction Company of Temple, Arizona. The building is being remodeled to reflect the courthouse as it was in 1888. The architect was Architexas and the contractor was J Q Engineers and Turner Construction Company.

 

See:  The architect,  Wesley Clark Dodson of Waco, also designed the courthouses in  Coryell CountyDenton County, Hill County,  Hood CountyLampasas County and Parker County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1837 and the Commissioners Court had met at the cabin of Jacob Black in 1836 before the county was created. Warren (near Ambrose now in Grayson County) was selected as the county seat in 1838 when the county was organized. The first courthouse was a two story oak and cedar structure built in 1840. In 1843, the county seat was moved to Bois d’Arc (changed to Bonham in 1844). The second courthouse was a small log structure. Later another cabin connected by a breezeway was built. The third courthouse was a two story brick structure built in in 1881. The fourth courthouse was a three story native stone structure built by Kane and Cormack both stonemasons in 1887 to 1888. The courthouse clock steeple was destroyed by fire in 1929 and the courthouse was remodeled and continued in use until remodeled in 1965 to 1977 with a façade of Leuders stone. The courthouse was substantially renovated from 2018 to 2021 returning the building to its 1888 appearance at a cost of $26,963,000.

 

Temporary County Courthouse – Bonham  

 

157t19

 

Location:  210 South Main Street / South 3rd Street

Built:  Unknown

Style:  Modern Church

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a one story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds to the south of the courthouse. The building was originally a church. The courtroom is located on the northwest side. The roof is hipped.

 

 

1128t10

County Courthouse – Bonham

 

 

1129t10

 

 

1130t10

 

 

1133t10

 

 

1141t10

 

 

1135t10

 

 

1136t10

 

 

1138t10

 

 

1139t10

 

 

155t19

Courthouse restoration 2019

 

 

152t19

 

 

154t19

 

 

xx_0

Picture 1888 Courthouse

 

 

156t19

Temporary County Courthouse – Bonham

 

 

158t19

 

 

159t19

 

 

160t19

 

 

161t19

 

 

162t19

 

 

163t19

 

 

164t19

Photos taken 2010 and 2019