Cherokee County

US States / A-G / Georgia / Cherokee County
1754G13

Cherokee County is named for the Cherokee Native American tribe.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Pickens County

E – Dawson County and Forsyth County

S – Fulton County and Cobb County

W – Bartow County

 

Created:  December 3, 1832                  Map of Georgia highlighting Cherokee County

County Seat: 

Canton  1832 – present

 

Old County Courthouse – Canton 

 

Location:  100 North Street / Church Street

Built:  1928 – 1929

Style:  Neo-Classical

Architect:  A Ten Eyck Brown and Alfredo Barili, Jr.

Contractor:  J S McCauley Company

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a four story white colored Georgia marble and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Canton and is a “U” shape with arch across the south front with four columns and eagle statues along the top of the arch. The main entrance is recessed and framed with stone. The east and west front sections are two stories and the north section rises to four stories with a small section above. The courtroom is located on the second story. The building served as the courthouse until 1994. The building now houses the County Administration. The building was renovated in 1997. The architect was Jack Pyburn Architect, Inc.  of Atlanta and the contractor was Metric Corporation of Atlanta.

 

See:   Anthony Ten Eyck Brown also designed the courthouse in Fulton County and Clarke County; and in Florida in the Miami-Dade County.

 

County Justice Center – Canton 

 

1777g13

 

Location:  90 North Street / Church Street

Built:  1992 – 1994

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Mayes, Sudderth and Etheridge, Inc. of Atlanta

Contractor:  Patton Construction Company of Atlanta

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a three story concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Canton to the south of the old courthouse and forms a crescent shape with a west wing and south wing connected by the southwest center section. The southwest front has a large projecting center section with recessed entrance on the first story, large window on the second and third stories and flanked by double pillars rising to a pediment with clock at the roof line. The windows on the first story are large. The roof is sloped. The north side entrance is on the first story and the south side entrance is on the second story. The courtrooms are located on the third story.

 

History:  The court first met at the home of John Lay. The first courthouse was a log cabin at Etowah in 1832. In 1834, a second courthouse was built in Etowah renamed as Canton. The building burned in 1865 during the Civil War. The third courthouse was constructed in 1873 to 1874 at Church Street and Church Street. The building burned in 1928 while the new courthouse was under construction. The fourth courthouse was constructed in 1928 to 1929. The fifth and present courthouse was constructed in 1993 to 1994 at a cost of $16,000,000.

 

 

1755g13

Old County Courthouse – Canton

 

 

1756g13

 

 

1758g13

 

 

1757g13

 

 

1759g13

 

 

1760g13

 

 

1762g13

 

 

1089f18

 

 

1090f18

 

 

1091f18

 

 

1093f18

 

 

1094f18

 

 

1095f18

 

 

1096f18

 

 

1097f18

 

 

1765g13

 

 

1766g13

 

 

1768g13

County Justice Center – Canton

 

1771g13

 

 

1770g13

 

 

1776g13

 

 

219g20

 

 

220g20

 

 

221g20

 

 

222g20

 

 

223g20

 

 

224g20

 

 

225g20

 

 

226g20

 

 

227g20

 

 

228g20

 

 

229g20

 

 

230g20

 

 

232g20

 

 

1778g13

Photos taken 2013, 2018 and 2020