White County is named for David T White, who was a state representative who helped create the county.
Created: December 22, 1857
Cleveland 1857 – present
Old County Courthouse – Cleveland
Location: Courthouse Square / Main Street
Built: 1858 – 1860
Style: Georgian Colonial, Vernacular and Carpenter
Architect: Edwin Pore Williams
Contractor: Edwin Pore Williams and William Houston
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick and wood structure. The building is rectangular with a central entrance on the east and west sides. At the north and south ends are brick sections which rise above the roof line with the twin end chimneys forming the end walls. The roof is hipped. The contract for the woodwork was given to William Houston of Cleveland. The building now houses a museum.
Note: Edwin Pore Williams was paid $10,000 in Confederate currency for the job after the Civil War had started. The courthouse is similar to the early Carpenter Style in North Georgia as seen in the courthouses in Dade County and Dawson County.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Old White County Courthouse.
County Courthouse – Cleveland
Location: 59 South Main Street / East Underwood Street
Built: 1963 – 1964
Architect: Jacobs and Matthews
Contractor: Pardue Construction Company
Description: The building faces west and is a one story white-brown colored brick and concrete structure. The west front has a large porch supported by four concrete pillars rising to a flat roof. The double windows are vertical. A band runs along the flat roof line.
E – Habersham County
S – Hall County
Photos taken 2013