Gwinnett County is named for Button Gwinnett, who was a signer of the Declaration of Independence and a provisional Governor of Georgia.
Created: December 15, 1818
Hog Mountain 1818 – 1820
Lawrenceville 1820 – present
Old County Courthouse – Lawrenceville
Location: 185 West Crogan Street / North Clayton Street
Built: 1885 – 1889
Style: Second Empire
Architect: Edmund G Lind of Atlanta
Contractor: William M Norbeck of Atlanta
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The south front has a one story portico with arches on three sides. The center section projects from the main building and rises to a peak at the roof line. On the southwest corner is a large square red colored brick clock tower rising four stories with balconies at the third story and white colored section at the fourth story with clock and white colored dome at the top. The small balcony on the corner of the front of the courthouse was originally used to summon jurors from the square. The east and west sides have central sections which rise to peaks at the roof line. The roof is gabled. The minaret tower was replaced in 1908 and the clock designed by Mr. McKinney of Gwinnett County was installed by J D Nash of Gwinnett County. On the north side is a two story red colored brick addition. The north wing was constructed in 1935 under the Works Progress Administration. The contractor was Mr. Jenkins plus convict labor.The.building now houses the Gwinnett Historical Society.
Note: The original courthouse was constructed on the present site in 1824. The building burned in 1871 and was rebuilt in 1872. In 1885, the building was torn down and the current courthouse constructed. The cost of the new courthouse was $23,083.
County Courthouse – Lawrenceville
Location: 75 Langley Drive / Constitution Boulevard SW
Built: 1988 – 1989
Architect: Henningson, Durham and Richardson of Dallas, Texas and Plus of Norcross
Contractor: Henningson, Durham and Richardson of Dallas, Texas and Plus of Norcross
Description: The building faces north and is a three story white colored stone structure. The building faces north and was completed in 1989. The north side has a central recessed entrance with curved glass projection on the west side. The building rises in three tiers with a small roof cap runing east and west. The windows are horizontal with dividers between The roof line is flat. The building is the Gwinnett Justice and Administration Center.
N – Hall County
Photos taken 2013