Towns County is named for George Washington Towns, who was a Governor of Georgia.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Clay County, North Carolina
S – White County
W – Union County
Created: March 6, 1856
Hiawassee 1856 – present
County Courthouse – Hiawassee
Location: 48 River Street / South Berrong Street
Built: 1963 – 1964
Architect: Henry M Whitehead, Jr.
Contractor: Gilmer Moody
Description: The building faces northeast and is a two story buff colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Hiawassee and is rectangular. The northeast front has a large porch supported by seven pillars rising to arches below the roof line. The central entrance has glass panels rising to the second story. The roof extends out from the building on all sides. The roof line is flat. The building houses the County Superior Court, County Juvenile Court, County Probate Court and County Magistrate Court of the 9th Judicial Administrative District.
History: The first courthouse was built in Hiawassee in 1857. The second courthouse was constructed in 1905. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1963 to 1964.
Note: The highest point in Georgia is Brasstown Bald Mountain at 4784 feet ( 1458 meters ) which is located in the county.
County Courthouse - Hiawassee
Photos taken 2013