Dawson County is named for Andrew Dawson, who was a trapping official and a major in the United States Army.
Created: January 15, 1869
Glendive 1870 – present
County Courthouse – Glendive
Location: 207 West Bell Street / South Kendrick Avenue
Built: 1961 – 1962
Architect: J G Link & Company
Contractor: Sterhan Construction Company
Description: The building faces north and is a one story red colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The central entrance is recessed with glass walls. The west section is two stories with red colored brick on the northwest corner and horizontal windows. The building has a flat roof. The building was renovated in 2012 with the addition of an elevator. The architect was Schutz Foss Architects of Billings and the contractor was Oswood Construction Company of Great Falls. Behind the building is the old buff colored brick jail.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed by W S Hurst in 1883.
See: The architect, John G Link of Montana ( in association with Charles S Haire and others ) designed courthouses in Montana in Big Horn County, Carter County, Custer County, Granite County, McCone County, Musselshell County, Richland County, Rosebud County, Sheridan County and Silver Bow County; and in Wyoming in Park County, Sheridan County and Washakie County.
Photos taken 2009 and 2012