Silver Bow County is named for Silver Bow Creek which flows through Butte and where gold was discovered.
Created: February 16, 1881
Butte 1881 – present
County Courthouse – Butte
Location: 155 West Granite Street / North Montana Street
Built: 1910 – 1912
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: John G Link and Charles S Haire of Billings
Contractor: Sound Construction and Engineering Company
Description: The building faces south and is a four story gray stone structure. The south front has a projecting center section with three rectangular entrances on the first story and six columns rising from the second story to the top of the third story. Above is a wide header on the fourth story with small windows along the four story. A balustrade runs along the roof line. The interior has a skylight and murals. During construction of the building, the superindenent was Ernst C Cox. The building also houses the City of Butte offices.
See: The architect, John G Link of Montana ( in association with Charles S Haire and others ) designed courthouses in Montana in Big Horn County, Carter County, Custer County, Dawson County, Granite County, McCone County, Musselshell County, Richland County, Rosebud County and Sheridan County; and in Wyoming in Park County, Sheridan County and Washakie County.
North – Deer Lodge County
East – Jefferson County
South – Madison County
West – Beaverhead County
Photos taken 2011