Custer County

US States / M / Montana / Custer County
Custer

Custer County is named for General George Armstrong Custer, who was a United States Army officer and who died at the Battle of Little Big Horn.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Prairie County

E – Fallon County and Carter County

S – Powder River County

W – Rosebud County and Garfield County

 

Created:  February 16, 1877                  Map of Montana highlighting Custer County

County Seat: 

Miles City  1877 – present

 

County Courthouse – Miles City

 

Location:  1010 Main Street / South 10th Street

Built:  1948 – 1949

Style:  Moderne

Architect:  J G Link Inc. of Billings

Contractor:  James C Boesplug Construction Company

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a three story yellow white colored stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Miles City. On the north side, the center section projects from the main building and has vertical dividing pillars between the windows. The entrance in the center is glass and metal, rising to a vertical glass panel on the second and third stories. The roof line is flat. The building houses the County District Court of the 16th Judicial District. On the north side, a new Detention Center is under construction in 2015. The architect is Stevenson Design and the contractor is Swank Enterprises.

 

See:  The architect, John G Link of Montana ( in association with Charles S Haire  and others ) designed courthouses in Montana in Big Horn County, Carter County, Dawson County, Granite County, McCone County, Musselshell CountyRichland County, Rosebud County, Sheridan County and Silver Bow County; in Oregon in Jackson County and in Wyoming in Park CountySheridan County and Washakie County.

 

Note:  Custer County was the largest county in Montana until divided in 1882. Fort Keogh was established at Miles City i9n 1876.

 

History:  The county was created in 1877 and Miles City was designated as the county seat. The county used rented premises until the first courthouse, a two story brick structure, was built in 1882. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1949 to 1942

 

 

0147wc09

County Courthouse – Miles City

 

 

0150wc09

 

 

0148wc09

 

 

0149wc09

 

 

0100c15

 

 

0101c15

 

 

0103c15

 

 

0104c15

Photos taken 2009 and 2015