Sheridan County is named for General Phillip Henry Sheridan, who was a Civil War hero.
Created: March 9, 1888
Sheridan 1888 – present
County Courthouse – Sheridan
Location: 224 South Main Street / West Burkitt Street
Built: 1904 – 1905
Style: Neo-Classical and Beaux Arts
Architect: Link & McAllister
Contractor: Ferguson and Pearson
Description: The building faces east and is a two story buff colored brick structure. The east front has two large columns rising to a header and pediment at the roof line. Above the entrance is an arched window. The base of the building is stone. On the center of the roof is an octagonal dome with clock and green colored roof. The building was restored in 1984. The architect was Drake, Gustafson and Associates and the contractor was KWN Construction Company. An addition was added on the north side in 1982. The architect was Drake, Gustafson and Associates and the contractor was Fletcher Construction Company.
Note: The contractor, Ferguson and Pearson, was a partnership between Frank Ferguson who eventually became the city building inspector, and N A Pearson, who was a State Senator. Ferguson also worked as a carpenter in the construction of Fort Mackenzie.
See: The architect, John G Link of Montana ( in association with Charles S Haire and others ) designed courthouses in Montana in Big Horn County, Carter County, Custer County, Dawson County, Granite County, McCone County, Musselshell County, Richland County, Rosebud County, Sheridan County and Silver Bow County; and in Wyoming in Park County and Washakie County.
E – Campbell County
S – Johnson County
W – Big Horn County
Photos taken 2009