Jackson County is named for Andrew Jackson, who was the 7th President of the United States from 1829 to 1837.
Created: June 12, 1852
Jacksonville 1852 – 1927
Medford 1927 – present
County Courthouse – Medford
Location: 10 South Oakdale Avenue / 8th Street
Built: 1931 – 1932
Style: Art Deco and Stripped Classical
Architect: John G Link Inc.
Contractor: L H Hoffman.
Description: The building faces east and is a three story granite, Indiana limestone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. There is terra cotta, glazed to match the texture of the limestone. The building is constructed of steel beams and reinforced concrete. The east front has a projecting center section with three rectangular openings on the first story. The section rises above the roof line. The north and south wings project slightly. The roof line is flat. The supervisor was L B Humphreys of Medford. An Annex was constructed in 1954 to 1955 on the west side. The architect was Ben H Todd and the contractor was H G Carl Construction Company.
Note: The cost of construction of the courthouse was $265,000.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Jackson County Courthouse
County Justice Building – Medford
Location: 100 South Oakdale Avenue / 8th Street
Built: 1976 – 1978
Architect: Afseth, Jacobs, and Schmitz of Medford
Contractor: Todd Building Company of Roseburg
Description: The building faces east and is a three story gray colored concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds south of the courthouse. The east front has a recessed first and second story with entrance on the first story. The windows are horizontal and the roof line is flat.
Old County Courthouse – Jacksonville
Location: 206 N 5th Street / C Street
Built: 1883 – 1884
Architect: G E Payne
Contractor: L S P Marsh
Description: The building faces northwest and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The northwest front has a one story portico with three narrow vertical windows above on the second story. The windows are double arched. On the roof is a square white colored cupola. The roof is hipped.
Note: The first courthouse was built in Jacksonville in 1854.
N – Douglas County
E – Kalmath County
S – Siskiyou County, California
W – Josephine County
Photos taken 2015