Granite County is named for Granite Peak, which is the highest point in Montana and which contained a silver mine named “Granite”.
Created: March 2, 1893
Philipsburg 1893 – present
County Courthouse – Philipsburg
Location: 220 North Sansome Street / Kearney Street
Built: 1912 – 1913
Architect: John G Link and Charles S Haire of Billings
Contractor: Gagnon & Company
Description: The building faces west and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The west front has a projecting center section with entrance on the first story and two columns rising to the top of the second story with a header rising to a peak above the roof line. A cornice runs below the roof line. On the center of the roof is a round dome with columns and silver roof. There is a small cupola at the top. The base is red Montana granite.
Note: The first courthouse was housed in Morse Hall which was built by Colonel J W Morse in 1887 and converted to a courthouse in 1893.
See: The architect, John G Link of Montana ( in association with Charles S Haire and others ) designed courthouses in Montana in Big Horn County, Carter County, Custer County, Dawson County, McCone County, Musselshell County, Richland County, Rosebud County, Sheridan County and Silver Bow County; and in Wyoming in Park County, Sheridan County and Washakie County.
North – Missoula County
East – Powell County
West – Ravalli County
Photos taken 2009