Sheridan County is named for Philip Henry Sheridan, who was a general during the American Civil War.
Created: March 24, 1913
Plentywood 1913 – present
County Courthouse – Plentywood
Location: 100 West Laurel Avenue / North Main Avenue
Built: 1936 – 1937
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Edwin G. Osness and John G Link of Billings
Contractor: Works Progress Administration ( local labor )
Description: The building faces south and is a two story white colored stucco structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of the city and has three narrow arched windows above the central entrance. The center section extends from the main building. The roof line is flat. The building was constructed under the Works Progress Administration using local labor. The building was remodeled in 1973. An addition was built on the west and north sides in 1981 to 1983. The architect was Bob H Hatfield of Dickinson and the contractor was Aldinger Construction of Glendive, Montana.
Note: J C Canning of Williston was hired for the plumbing and Detroit Steel Products Company won the bid for the windows.
See: The architect, John G Link of Montana ( in association with Charles S Haire and others ) designed courthouses in Montana in Big Horn County, Carter County, Custer County, Dawson County, Granite County, McCone County, Musselshell County, Richland County, Rosebud County and Silver Bow County; and in Wyoming in Park County, Sheridan County and Washakie County.
N – Saskatchewan, Canada
S – Roosevelt County
Commissioner Minutes – Window Contract
Commissioner Minutes – Plumbing Contract
Commissioner Minutes – Local Labor
Photos taken 2006, 2012 and 2016