Woodson County is named for Daniel Woodson, who was Secretary of the Kansas Territory and Acting Governor; or for Silas Woodson, who a lawyer and politician in St. Joseph, Missouri and was Governor of Missouri.
Created: August 25, 1855
Neosho Falls 1858 – 1873
Kalida 1873 – 1874
Defiance 1874 – 1876
Yates Center 1876 – present
County Courthouse – Yates Center
Location: 105 West Rutledge Street / North Main Street
Built: 1899 – 1900
Architect: George P Washburn & Sons of Ottawa
Contractor: J W Brewsler.
Description: The building faces south and is a three story red colored brick, stone and wood Romanesque style structure. The building is rectangular and has a limestone block basement. The south front has a small porch on the first story and there are porches on each side. The windows on the second story have stone trimmed arches above. On each corner is a large square brick tower pavilion. On the center of the roof is a square wood cupola with smaller cupola at the top. The building is located on a landscaped square.
Note: The architect, George P Washburn & Sons, designed courthouses in Anderson County, Atchison County, Butler County, Chautaugua County, Doniphan County, Franklin County, Harper County, Kingman County, Miami County, and Pratt County, and Beaver County in Oklahoma.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Woodson County Courthouse
N – Coffey County
E – Allen County
S – Wilson County
W – Greenwood County