Greenwood County is named for Alfred B Greenwood, who was a United States congressman from Arkansas and a commissioner of Indian Affairs.
Created: August 25, 1855
Eureka 1855 – present
County Courthouse – Eureka
Location: 311 Main Street / West 4th Street
Built: 1955 – 1956
Architect: Williamson-Loebsack & Associates of Topeka
Contractor: Dondlinger & Sons Construction Company Inc.
Description: The building faces east and is a two story concrete and glass structure. The second story overhangs the first story and is supported by concrete pillars. On the east front is a projecting one story entrance section. The windows on the second story are vertical with brown colored panels along the bottom. There are no windows on the first story except along the west section of the building.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by John G Haskell and constructed by John Hammond in 1873.
S – Elk County
Photos taken 2010