Kingman County is named for Samuel A Kingman, who was a member of the Wyandotte Constitutional Convention, chief justice of the Kansas Supreme Court, state librarian and the first president of the Kansas State Historical Society.
Created: March 7, 1872
Kingman 1872 – present
County Courthouse – Kingman
Location: 130 Spruce Street / East Sherman Street
Built: 1907 – 1908
Architect: George P Washburn & Sons of Ottawa
Contractor: Matheim & Walters of St. Joseph, Missouri
Description: The building faces west and is a three story red colored brick and limestone structure. The building is rectangular with each corner having a slightly projecting square tower block with a pyramidal roof. The west front has a stone porch on the first story with balcony above. The windows are vertical and narrow with arched windows above on the second story. The center section rises to a pediment at the roof line. On the center of the roof is an octagonal cupola. The base of the building is course stone.
Note: The architect, George P Washburn & Sons, designed courthouses in Anderson County, Atchison County, Butler County, Chautaugua County, Doniphan County, Franklin County, Harper County, Miami County, Pratt County and Woodson County, and Beaver County in Oklahoma.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Kingman County Courthouse
N – Reno County
Photos taken 2010