Franklin County is named for Benjamin Franklin, who was a signer of the Declaration of Independence and who lived from 1706 to 1790.
Created: August 25, 1855
St. Bernard 1855 – 1858
Minneola 1858 – 1864
Ottawa 1864 – present
County Courthouse – Ottawa
Location: 315 South Main Street / East 4th Street
Built: 1892 – 1893
Architect: George P Washburn & Sons of Ottawa
Contractor: L W Divelbiss of Olathe
Description: The building faces west and is a three story red colored brick and limestone Romanesque style structure. The building faces west and was completed in 1893. On the west front is a porch supported by four square brick pillars with balcony above. On each corner of the building are large square brick towers with peaked roofs. The second story windows are arched with stone trim. On the roof are two square cupolas. The west cupola contains a four-sided clock and the east cupola is an open four-sided bell tower. The base is constructed with rough-hewn limestone blocks. The roof is hipped.
Note: The contract to construct the courthouse was awarded on December 30, 1891 for $45,940. Sub-contracts were let to S Reidy of Ottawa for stone work, J Jeffries and Company of Ottawa for the mill work, William Broderick of Ottawa for the painting and finishing work, A P Elder of Ottawa for the plumbing and heating and George Abbot of Olathe for the plastering. Total cost of the courthouse was $66,939.25.
Note: The architect, George P Washburn & Sons, designed courthouses in Anderson County, Atchison County, Butler County, Chautaugua County, Doniphan County, Harper County, Kingman County, Miami County, Pratt County and Woodson County, and Beaver County in Oklahoma.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Franklin County Courthouse
District Courthouse – Ottawa
Location: 301 South Main Street / East 3rd Street
Description: The building faces north and is a one story red colored brick structure. The building is a long rectangular style with few windows. The entrance is located near the northeast corner and has a canopy supported by thin black pillars. The roof line is flat. The building is located on the north side of the courthouse.
N – Douglas County
E – Miami County
S – Anderson County
Photos taken 2009