Coffey County is named for A M Coffey, who was a member of the Legislative Council of the Kansas Territory.
Created: August 25, 1855
Burlington 1855 – present
County Courthouse – Burlington
Location: 110 South 6th Street / Neosho Street
Built: 1963 – 1964
Architect: Kiene & Bradley Architects of Topeka
Contractor: Cornelius & Associates
Description: The building faces east and is a one story red colored brick and concrete structure. The east front has an overhanging center section supported by five pillars and with recessed entrance and glass panel wall.. The windows are vertical and narrow. The roof line is flat. On the south side of the front is a modern statue of Justice.
Note: The present courthouse replaced the 1901 courthouse designed by J C Holland.
N – Osage County
S – Wilson County
Photos taken 2009