Labette County is named for the French word meaning ”the beet” which is a vegetable.
Created: February 7,1867
Oswego 1867 – present
County Courthouse – Oswego
Location: 517 Merchant Street / 6th Street
Built: 1948 – 1949
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Thomas W Williamson and Company of Topeka
Contractor: Dalton Construction Company of Joplin, Missouri
Description: The building faces east and is a three story yellow colored stone face and concrete structure. The east front has a projecting central section with four dividing pillars between the entrance doors on the first story and the windows on the second and third stories. There are vertical orange colored panels between the windows.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed and constructed by H C Hall and C O Perkins in 1880. The building was demolished.
N – Neosho County
Photos taken 2009