Wilson County is named for Hiero T Wilson, who was a settler, postmaster and prominent citizen of Fort Scott.
Created: August 25, 1855
Fredonia 1873 – present
County Courthouse – Fredonia
Location: 615 Madison Street / North 6th Street
Built: 1960 – 1961
Architect: Kene & Bradley Architects of Topeka
Contractor: Freeto Construction Company Inc. of Pittsburg
Description: The building faces south and is a two story brick, glass and concrete structure. The south front has an overhanging second story of yellow colored concrete. The first story is faced with reddish flagstone and has horizontal windows. The main entrance is on the east side with glass panels rising to the roof line. There is an entrance at the west side with colored panels above.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by William R Parson and constructed by Gauth & Sedley in 1855. The building was demolished when the present courthouse was constructed. The Memorial Clock Tower houses the old courthouse clock.
N – Woodson County
E – Neosho County
Photos taken 2009