Allen County is named for William Allen, who was a United States Senator from Ohio and Governor of Ohio.
Created: August 25, 1855
Cofachique 1855 – 1857
Humboldt 1858 – 1865
Iola 1865 – present
County Courthouse – Iola
Location: 1 North Washington Avenue / West Jackson Avenue
Built: 1957 – 1958
Architect: Brink and Dunwoody of Iola
Contractor: Dondlinger & Sons Construction Company. Inc.
Description: The building faces west and is a one story red colored brick and light colored concrete structure. The west front has an entrance on the northwest with concrete canopy and recessed glass entrance. There is red colored brick facing on the north section. The south entrance has a similar canopy and recessed glass entrance.
Note: On May 20, 1957 the commission accepted bids from Dondlinger & Sons Construction Co. Inc. for building work of $449,175; Brune Plumbing, Heating and Electric Co. for mechanical work for $127,112; Murray Electric Company for electrical work for $47,636; and Decatur Iron and Steel Company, Inc for Jail equipment for $32,441 for a total cost of $656,364.
Note: The clock from the old courthouse constructed in 1904 sits on the lawn. In 1904, the architect was J C Holland & Squires and the contractor was O Swanson. The old County Jail is still standing.
N – Anderson County
E – Bourbon County
S – Neosho County
W – Woodson County
Photos taken 2010