Neosho County is named for the Neosho River which name is derived from the Osage Indian word “ne-o-sho” or “ne-u-zhu” meaning “clear water”.
Created: June 3, 1861
Osage Mission 1867 – 1874
Erie 1874 – present
County Courthouse – Erie
Location: 100 South Main Street / East 1st Street
Built: 1961 – 1962
Architect: Kiene & Bradley Architects of Topeka
Contractor: Deill Construction Company.
Description: The building faces west and is a one story cream colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The west front has a high peaked section towards the south, with six pillars supporting an overhang with glass entrance. The section to the north has narrow vertical windows. There is another entrance on the north side.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by George P Washburn & Son and constructed by Dannelly & Halfin in 1904. The building was demolished after the present courthouse was completed.
N – Allen County
S – Labette County
W – Wilson County
Photos taken 2009