Harper County is named for Marion Harper, who was a Sergeant of the Second Kansas Cavalry and who died near Waldron, Arkansas in December 1863.
Created: February 26, 1867
Anthony 1867 – present
County Courthouse – Anthony
Location: 201 Jennings Avenue / East Steadman Street
Built: 1907 – 1908
Architect: George P Washburn & Sons of Ottawa
Contractor: Matheim & Walker of St. Joseph, Missouri
Description: The building faces west and is a three story red colored brick and limestone structure. The building is rectangular with entrances on three sides. The west front has a stone porch on the first story and on the third story are arched windows. Above is a large pediment with semi-circular window. At each corner is an octagonal red colored brick tower with steep roof. In the center of the building rises a square red colored brick clock tower with clock and statue of Justice at the top. The base of the building is course stone.
Note: Other contracts were let to Reynolds and Jones of Kingman for plumbing and heating, J Q McAfee for wood furniture, Livingstone Furniture Company for opera chairs, L L Livingston for electrical and Art Metal Construction Company for the vaults. The budget for construction was $60,000.
Note: The architect, George P Washburn & Sons, designed courthouses in Anderson County, Atchison County, Butler County, Chautaugua County, Doniphan County, Franklin County, Kingman County, Miami County, Pratt County and Woodson County, and Beaver County in Oklahoma.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Harper County Courthouse
N – Kingman County
E – Sumner County
W – Barber County
Photos taken 2010