Henry County is named for Patrick Henry, who was a Governor of Virgin.
Created: November 7, 1821
Clifty 1821 – 1825
Paris 1825 – present
County Courthouse – Paris
Location: 101 West Washington Street / North Market Street
Built: 1896 – 1897
Style: Richardsonian Romanesque
Architect: Reuben Harrison Hunt of Chattanooga
Contractor: E M Wallen
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The north front has a large central arch. On the northwest and northeast corners are large square towers with slopped roofs. On the southwest corner is an octagonal tower with sloped roof. On the center of the roof is a high square red colored brick clock tower with cupola at the top.
Note: The first court met at the home of Peter Wall. The first courthouse was a log structure built in 1823 on the Will Clement farm at Clifty. The second courthouse was a two story brick structure built by John Burke and Francis McConnell at a cost of $143. The third courthouse was a two story brick structure designed by John Ora and constructed by Calvin Sweeney in 1852 at a cost of $42,000.
N – Calloway County, Kentucky
S – Carroll County
W – Weakley County
Photos taken 2012