Hamilton County is named for Alexander Hamilton, who was the first United States Secretary of the Treasury.
Created: October 25, 1819
Signal Mountain 1819
Dallas 1819 – 1840
Harrison 1840 – 1870
Chattanooga 1870 – present
County Courthouse – Chattanooga
Location: 625 Georgia Avenue / East 7th Street
Built: 1911 – 1912
Style: Neo-Classical Revival
Architect: Rueben Harrison Hunt of Chattanooga
Contractor: George A Fuller Company
Description: The building faces south and is a three story gray colored stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The south front has a large porch with four high columns rising to a header at the roof line. The entrance is recessed. The cornice running below the flat roof line projects from the building. During construction, the supervising architects were J G Barnwell and C T Jones. An addition was added on the north side in 1937.
Note: A strikingly beautiful building, the courthouse cost $350,000, and stands where the earlier courthouse had been struck by lightning in the violent storm of May 7, 1910. The building features Tennessee gray marble, a glazed tile roof, and a colored-glass dome.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Hamilton County Courthouse
Note: The first courthouse was Poe’s Tavern, a two story log structure at Walden’s Ridge ( Signal Mountain ). The court moved to the home of John Mitchell. In 1819, the second courthouse was a crude structure built at Dallas. The third courthouse was built in Harrison in 1840. In 1870, James Hall at the northeast comer of Market and Sixth Streets in Chattanooga served as a temporary courthouse until the fourth courthouse (and jail) in the old armory at Fourth and Market Streets, was designated as the court. The fifth courthouse was designed by Alexander Bruce and constructed by Patton & McInuff in 1879 at a cost of $33,500. An addition was designed by William H Floyd and constructed in 1891. The courthouse burned in 1910.
County Courts Building – Chattanooga
Location: 600 Market Street / East 6th Street
Built: 1989 – 1991
Architect: Derthick, Henley & Wilkerson of Chattanooga
Contractor: ACG, Inc.
Description: The building faces west and is a four story concrete structure. The building is located in the center of the city to the west of the courthouse. The west front has an entrance on the north with large concrete canopy. The roof line is flat.
County Justice Building – Chattanooga
Location: 601 Walnut Street / East 6th Street
Built: 1973 – 1975
Architect: Jack H Tyler and Associates
Contractor: Robins Engineering, Inc.
Description: The building faces east and is a six story concrete structure. The building is located in the center of the city to the west of the courthouse. The building was formerly the County Criminal Justice Center Building and is now the County Justice Building housing the jail.
Other Branch Courthouses
E – Bradley County
Picture 1879 Courthouse
County Courts Building
County Justice Building
Photos taken 2012 and 2018