Carroll County is named for William Carroll, who was a Governor of Tennessee and who lived from 1781 to 1841.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
W – Gibson County
Created: November 7, 1821
Huntingdon 1821 – present
County Courthouse – Huntingdon
Location: 99 Court Square / Main Street
Built: 1931 – 1932
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: Hart, Freeland & Roberts
Contractor: Chambers & Hightower
Description: The building faces southwest and is a three story gray colored stone and concrete structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on the landscaped grounds of the Courthouse Square in the center of Huntingdon. The southwest and northeast sides have large porticoes supported by four large columns rising to a pediment. The northwest and southeast sides have two columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The center section of the building rises higher than the east and west wings. In the interior, the first story has cross hallways which intersect at a central octagonal shaped lobby. The courtroom is located at the northeast side. The building houses the County Circuit Court, County Chancery Court, County General Sessions Court and County Juvenile Court of the 24th Judicial District. The building was renovated in 1981. The architect was Architectural Resources Group and the contractor was Barger Construction Company. The building was further renovated in 2005. The architect was TML Associates, Inc. and the contractor was Lashlee-Rich, Inc.
History: The county was created in 1821 and Huntington was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was a log cabin built in 1822. The second courthouse was a frame structure built in 1824 and the third courthouse was a brick structure built in 1830. The fourth courthouse was also a brick structure built in 1844 by Joel R Smith and Thomas Banksat a cost of $12,000. The courthouse was enlarged in 1897 and was destroyed by fire in 1931. The fifth and present courthouse was constructed in 1931 to 1932.
County Courthouse - Huntingdon
Photos taken 2012 and 2018