Hardin County is named for Joseph Hardin, who was a legislator of the Southwest Territory and State of Franklin.
Created: November 13, 1819
Savannah 1819 – present
County Courthouse – Savannah
Location: 465 Main Street / William Street
Built: 1949 – 1950
Style: Colonial Revival
Architect: Joseph Holman and Thomas Marr of Nashville
Contractor: Daniel Construction Company
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The north front has a large portico supported by four tall columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. There are dormer windows along the hipped roof. On the center of the roof is a high square cupola with weather vain at the top.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by R A Heavner and H T McGee and constructed in 1905. The building was destroyed by fire in 1949.
See: The architect, Joseph Holman and Thomas Marr of Nashville, designed courthouses in Bedford County, Franklin County, Lauderdale County, Madison County, McNairy County, Obion County, Pickett County, Sumner County and Weakley County. They also designed the Tennessee Supreme Court in Nashville.
E – Wayne County
W – McNairy County
Photos taken 2012