Lawrence County

US States / M / Mississippi / Lawrence County
Lawrence

Lawrence County is named for James Lawrence, who an American Naval officer during the War of 1812 and who said “Don’t give up the ship!”

 

Created:  December 22, 1814

County Seat: 

Monticello  1814 – present

 

County Courthouse – Monticello 

 

Location:  817 East Broad Street / Jefferson Street

Built:  1911 – 1912

Style:  Neo-Classical Revival

Architect:  Ruben Harrison Hunt of Chattanooga, Tennessee

Contractor:  Little-Cleckler Construction Company of Anniston, Alabama

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a three story red colored brick structure. The south front has a large porch with four large columns rising to a balcony on the third story. A wide cornice runs between the second and third stories. The roof line is flat. The building was remodeled in 1924. The architect was Eugene McCormick. The building was renovated in 1969. The architect was Norwood and Kenney and the contractor was Polk Construction Company. An addition was built in 1970 and renovations were made in 1972.

 

See:  Little-Cleckler Construction Company of Anniston, Alabama also constructed courthouses in Alabama in Fayette County, Jackson County and Limestone Countyin Georgia in Bleckley County, Clarke County, Lincoln County and Walker County; and in Mississippi in Franklin CountyWalthall County and Webster County.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Copiah County and Simpson

E – Jefferson Davis County and Marion County

S – Marion County and Walthall County

W – Lincoln County

 

 

 

1805no11

 

 

1806no11

 

 

1808no11

 

 

1807no11

 

 

1810no11

 

 

1811no11

 

 

1812no11

Photos taken 2012