Calloway County is named for Richard Callaway, who was a pioneer and who lived from 1724 to 1780.
Created: December 19, 1821
Wadesboro 1822 – 1842
Murray 1843 – present
County Courthouse – Murray
Location: 104 North 5th Street / Main Street
Built: 1913 – 1914
Style: Classic Revival
Architect: Andrew J Bryan of Atlanta, Georgia
Contractor: Falls Construction Company of Louisville
Description: The building faces east and is a three story buff colored brick structure. The building is located on the landscaped grounds of Courthouse Square in the center of the city. On the east front is a large recessed portico supported by four large white colored Ionic columns rising to the pediment at the roof line. There are similar recessed porticoes on all sides of the building. A protruding cornice surrounds the building below the roof line. On the center of the roof is a large white octagonal cupola with clock at the roof of the dome. The former courtroom on the second stry have been divided into offices.
Note: The courthouse was built by funds secured by an odd example of election tampering. When the old courthouse was destroyed by fire in 1906 a vote was held to pass a bond to fund a new facility, but failed its first two times on the ballot. The third vote was scheduled for the first Tuesday in November 1912, and after it was discovered the votes again fell short of the two-thirds needed for it to pass, the county clerk announced he made an error in counting and the bond actually passed. The cost of construction was $49,679.
See: The architect, Andrew J Bryan, designed the courthouses in Alabama in Coffee County, Lee County and Monroe County; in Georgia in Colquitt County, Pulaski County and Stewart County; in Kentucky in Bracken County and Mercer County; in Louisiana in Pointe Coupee Parish; in Mississippi in Attala County and Simpson County; and in Texas in Rains County.
See: The contractor Falls City Construction Company of Louisville, Kentucky
Note: The first courthouse was a log cabin structure built in Wadesboro in 1823, now located in Murray. The second courthouse was built in Murray in 1843 when the county seat was moved. The building burned in 1906 and court was held in a building on the south side of the square until the third and present courthouse was constructed in 1913.
County Judicial Building – Murray
Location: 312 North 4th Street / Olive Street
Built: 1997 – 1998
Architect: Architecture Plus, Inc. of Georgetown
Contractor: Jim Woodrum of Architecture Plus, Inc. of Georgetown
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped ground on the north side of the center of the city. The west front has a portico supported by four white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The roof line is flat. The Circuit Court courtroom is located at the center of the second story and the District Court courtroom is located at the center of the first story. The superintendent was James Herndon.
Old County Courthouse – Murray
Location: Central Park
Style: Log Cabin
Description: The building faces east and is located in the center of Central Park to the north of the center of the city.. The building was constructed in Wadesboro and served as the courthouse until 1831. Constructed of logs, the roof is hipped. The building was moved when Murray became the county seat. The cost of construction was $100.
N – Marshall County
S – Henry County, Tennessee
W – Graves County
County Judicial Building
Circuit Court courtroom
District Court courtroom
Photos taken 2007, 2012 and 2018