Talladega County is named for the Talatigi Creek which is named for the Native American name for the county seat meaning “border town”.
Created: December 18, 1832
Talladega 1832 – present
County Courthouse – Talladega
Location: 1118 North East Street / Battle Street
Built: 1925 – 1926
Style: Neo-Classical Revival
Architect: R H Hunt of Chattanooga, Tennessee
Contractor: W L Little
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on the landscaped grounds of Courthouse Square in the center of the city. The north and south sides have porches supported by four white columns rising to a wide white header with clock above with pitched roof. There are projecting center sections on the east and west sides. The building was renovated in 1934. The architect was Charles H McCauley and the contractor was M C Munroe. The building was further renovated in 1977. The architect was Wiatt, Watson and Cole and the contractor was E G Harris Jr.
Note: The building is the oldest courthouse in use in Alabama having been constructed in 1836. Additions were added in 1882 and 1902. The building was renovated in 1912 after damage by a tornado and the architect was Charles W Carlton. The building was severely damaged by fire in 1925 and rebuilt.
County Judicial Building – Talladega
Location: 148 North East Street / Coosa Street
Built: 1973 – 1974
Architect: Martin J Lide of Birmingham
Contractor: Motes Construction Company, Inc. of Sylacauga
Description: The building faces north and is a two story structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city to the north of the courthouse. The north front has a central glass entrance with a one story portico supported by square pillars. The windows are vertical and narrow. The roof is hipped.
N – Calhoun County
S – Coosa County
County Judicial Building
Photos taken 2010, 2014 and 2018