Weakley County is named for Robert Weakley, who was a United States Representative in Congress.
Created: October 21, 1823
Dresden 1825 – present
County Courthouse – Dresden
Location: 116 West Main Street / North Wilson Street
Built: 1949 – 1951
Architect: Joseph Holman and Thomas Marr of Nashville
Contractor: Seth E Giem & Associates
Description: The building faces south and is a three story gray colored limestone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The central entrance on the first story is framed with stone. Square windows run along the first story. Recessed vertical windows are on the second and third stories. The roof line is flat.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed in 1855 and enlarged in 1911. The building was destroyed by fire in 1948.
See: The architect, Joseph Holman and Thomas Marr of Nashville, designed courthouses in Bedford County, Franklin County, Hardin County, Lauderdale County, Madison County, McNairy County, Obion County, Pickett County and Sumner County. They also designed the Tennessee Supreme Court in Nashville.
N – Graves County, Kentucky
E – Henry County
W – Obion County
Photos taken 2011