Benton County is named for David Benton, who was a veteran of the Creek War and an early settler in the county.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
S – Decatur County
W – Carroll County
Created: December 19, 1837
Camden 1837 – present
County Courthouse – Camden
Location: 1 East Court Street / East Main Street
Built: 1973 – 1974
Architect: Hart-Freeland-Roberts, Inc. of Nashville and Jackson
Contractor: Hugh Ward Construction Company of Humboldt
Description: The building faces south and is a is a two story brown colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds on the east side of the center of Camden. The south front has a large glass section which is recessed and has the main entrance. On the east side of this section, the windows are narrow and vertical. The roof line is flat. The interior has an open atrium with the courtroom on the east side of the second story. The building houses the County Circuit Court, County Chancery Court, County General Sessions Court and County Juvenile Court of the 24th Judicial District.
History: The county was created in 1837 and Camden was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was built by Samuel Halliburton at Tranquility in 1836.In 1837 the second courthouse was built by Samuel Ingram. In 1845, the third courthouse was built by Colonel Irvine B Cams on the public square in Camden. The fourth courthouse was built by L B Patton on 1877. In 1915 to 1917, the fifth courthouse was designed by Edward L Dougherty and constructed by A J Bryan and J W Wood. The sixth and present courthouse was constructed in 1973 to 1974 at a cost $500,000.
County Courthouse - Camden
Cornerstone 1917 County Courthouse
Photos taken 2012 and 2018