Stewart County is named for Duncan Stewart, who was a Tennessee State legislator and lieutenant governor of the Mississippi Territory.
Created: November 1, 1803
Dover 1803 – present
County Courthouse – Dover
Location: 225 Donelson Parkway / Church Street
Built: 1964 – 1965
Architect: Wilson and Odom
Contractor: Barrett & Ellis
Description: The building faces east and is a three story glass and concrete structure. The rectangular shaped building sits on a slope in the center of the city. The east front of the building has a central entrance on the second story with large glass window above on the third story. A high canopy is supported by tall pillars. The north section of the building is higher. The roof line is flat. The courtroom is located on the north side of the second story.
Note: The previous courthouse was built in 1870. A replica stands east of the courthouse and is presently a bank.
Replica of 1870 Courthouse
Photos taken 2014 and 2018