Leflore County is named for Greenwood Leflore, who was the Chief of the Choctaw Native American tribe.
Created: March 15, 1871
Greenwood 1871 – present
County Courthouse – Greenwood
Location: 306 West Market Street / Fulton Street
Built: 1906 – 1907
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: R H Hunt & Company
Contractor: R Jesty & Company of Winona
Description: The building faces south and is a two story gray colored stone structure. The south front has a large portico with four columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The recessed entrance is arched with a small balcony on the second story. On the center of the roof is a large stone dome with colonnaded openings and clock and lantern at the top. The building has a mansard roof. An Annex was constructed in 1925. The architect was Frank R Geoy of Greenwood and the contractor was Estes-Williams Company of Memphis, Tennessee. In 1953, an addition was constructed. The architect was Robert James Moor. In 1974, the building was renovated. The architect was Hall-Burle & Associates.
Photos taken 2012