Payne County

US States / O-U / Oklahoma / Payne County
Payne

Payne County is named for David Lewis Payne, who was an American soldier and called the “Father of Oklahoma” for his work in opening the state to settlement.

 

Created:  May 2, 1890

County Seat:

Stillwater  1890 – present

 

County Courthouse – Stillwater 

 

Location:  606 South Husband Street / West 6th Street

Built:  1915 – 1916

Style:  Neo-Classical

Architect:  Hair, Tonini and Bramblet

Contractor:  Lisle Dunning Construction Company

 

Description: The building faces east and is a three story red colored brick, stone and Concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Stillwater. The first story is of rusticated stone, with a pronounced horizontal shadow line. The east, or front facade, is semicircular, projecting approximately 20 feet from the corner of the building. Half-round Ionic pilasters separate the window bays of the second and third stories. The other sides of the building have four similar pilasters delineating a slightly-recessed area accommodating three window bays. The entryways, one of each side, have small pediments supported by scrolled brackets. The building has a stone frieze and a modillioned cornice which is surmounted by an attic story. An addition was constructed on the west side in 1965. The architect was Stephens, Young & Irby and the contractor was Yarbo Construction Company.

 

Note:  The previous courthouse was constructed by Don Ragland in 1895.

 

See: The architect,  Tonini and Bramblet ( and associates ), designed courthouses in Kansas in Crawford County and Oklahoma in Alfalfa CountyCotton County, Major County, Okmulgee CountyTillman County and Wooward County.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Payne County Courthouse

 

County Courthouse Annex – Stillwater 

 

0642t10

 

Location:  606 South Husband Street / West 6th Street

Built:  2008 – 2009

Style:  Modern

Architect:  BKL Incorporated of Tulsa

Contractor:  Lambert Construction of Stillwater

 

Description: The building faces east and is a three red colored brick structure. The east entrance is semi-circular with dark glass. The base of the building is stone. Wide horizontal stone bands run between the first and second stories and between the second and third stories. The roof line is flat. The building is attached to the courthouse along the north side.

 

See: The architect, BKL Incorporated of Tulsa, designed courthouses in Craig County, Mayes County and Ottawa County.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Noble County and Pawnee County 

E – Creek County 

S – Lincoln County and Logan County

W – Logan County

 

 

 

0637t10

County Courthouse – Stillwater

 

 

0646t10

 

 

0645t10

County Courthouse Annex – Stillwater 

 

 

0644t10

 

 

0643t10

Photos taken 2010