Major County

US States / O-U / Oklahoma / Major County
Major

Major County is named for John C Major, who was a member of the Oklahoma Constitutional Convention.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Woods County and Alfalfa County

E – Garfield County

S – Kingfisher County, Blaine County and Dewey County 

W – Woodward County

 

Created:  July 16, 1907                          Map of Oklahoma highlighting Major County

County Seat:

Fairview  1909 – present

 

County Courthouse – Fairview 

 

Location:  500 East Broadway / North 9th Avenue

Built:  1928 – 1926

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  Tonini and Bramblet

Contractor:  D C Bass & Sons Construction of Enid

 

Description: The building faces east and is a four story white colored faced stone block structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds of the Courthouse Circle in the center of Fairview. The first story has a rusticated facade. The east front has a projecting center section with a Roman arch entrance at the center. Two Tuscan columns rise from the second story to the top of the third story. A wide cornice runs below the flat roof line. An attic story, not apparent from the front of the building, houses the jail and has seven pairs of small, barred windows on the west, or rear, side of the structure. The building has a flat roof and a single chimney on the northwest corner.

 

See: The architect,  Tonini and Bramblet ( and associates ), designed courthouses in Kansas in Crawford County and in Oklahoma in Alfalfa CountyCotton CountyOkmulgee County, Payne County, Tillman County and Wooward County.

 

See: The contractor,  D C Bass & Sons Construction of Enid, constructed courthouses in Kay County and Woodward County.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Major County Courthouse

 

See:  The 4th Judicial District includes Alfalfa CountyBlaine CountyDewey CountyGarfield CountyGrant County, Kingfisher County, Woods County and Woodward County.    

 

History:  The county was created in 1907 and Fairview was selected as the county seat in 1908. The first county officials used a rental premise until the first courthouse, a brick structure was built in 1909. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1928 to 1929.

 

 

1788cs10

County Courthouse – Fairview

 

 

1790cs10

 

 

1791cs10

 

 

1792cs10

 

 

1793cs10

 

 

1797cs10

 

 

1796cs10

 

 

1794cs10

 

 

1795cs10

Photos taken 2010