Grant County is named for Ulysses Grant, who led the Union forces to victory in the American Civil War and was elected President of the United States.
Created: November 6, 1893
Medford 1893 – present
County Courthouse – Medford
Location: 112 West Guthrie Street / Main Street
Built: 1909 – 1910
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Albert A Traver
Contractor: Rowles & Bailey of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Description: The building faces south and is a three story red colored brick and stone structure. The south front of the rectangular building has a high portico with limestone arch on the first story and having four columns rising from the second story to the top of the third story with pediment above. The brickwork of the first story is laid in a pattern of four raised bricks separated by one recessed brick, running horizontally. Brick pilasters rise from just above the first story to the cornice. Windows have stone sills and lintel bands. The foundation is limestone. The hipped roof is covered with red colored tiles.
Note: The only other courthouse with a red colored tile roof is in Nowata County.
See: The contractor, Rowles & Bailey of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, constructed courthouses in Nebraska in Phelps County and Nemaha County; in North Dakota in Pembina County; and in Oklahoma in Jackson County.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Grant County Courthouse
E – Kay County
S – Garfield County
W – Alfalfa County
Photos taken 2010