Woodward County is named for Brinton W Woodward, who was a Santa Fe railway director, or for Richard Woodward, who was a buffalo hunter.
Created: September 16, 1893
Woodward 1893 – present
County Courthouse – Woodward
Location: 1600 Main Street / 15th Street
Built: 1936 – 1937
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Tonini and Bramblet
Contractor: D C Bass & Sons Construction of Enid
Description: The building faces south and is a two story cream colored concretestructure. The south front has vertical divisions between the windows and a wide header below the flat roof line. There are decorations on the building. The building was repaired after damage by a tornado in 1947. On the north side is the modern jail complex constructed in 2009 to 2010. The architect was Architects In Partnership of Norman and the contractor was Joe B Hall of Elk City.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by J W McNeal and J R Cottingham and constructed by J C Blair Construction Company in 1901.
See: The architect, Tonini and Bramblet ( and associates ), designed courthouses in Kansas in Crawford County and Oklahoma in Alfalfa County, Cotton County, Major County, Okmulgee County, Payne County and Tillman County.
Photos taken 2006 and 2016