Okmulgee County is named for the Creek Native American word meaning “boiling water”.
Created: November 16, 1907
Okmulgee 1907 – present
County Courthouse – Okmulgee
Location: 314 West 7th Street / South Seminole Avenue
Built: 1916 – 1917
Style: Neo-Classical and Georgian Revival
Architect: C E Hair and Tonini and Bramblet
Contractor: Kreipke-Shafer Construction Company
Description: The building faces north and is a four story red colored brick and white colored limestone structure. The brick is laid in a running bond course and the first story exterior is finished with smoothly-cut limestone blocks in coursed layers. The rear facade is a curved 30 foot by 70 foot bay. The building has white limestone pedimented entries with scrolled brackets on all sides, and second story and third story paired windows are separated by Ionic columns. A modillioned cornice divides the third and attic stories. The attic story has cutaway cornering and it is surmounted by a plain cornice and unadorned roof line. On each side, six columns rise from the second story to the top of the third story. The roof line is flat.
See: The architect, Tonini and Bramblet ( and associates ), designed courthouses in Kansas in Crawford County and Oklahoma in Alfalfa County, Cotton County, Major County, Payne County, Tillman County and Wooward County.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Okmulgee County Courthouse
Old County Courthouse – Okmulgee
Location: SE – West 6th Street / Morton Avenue
Architect: W G Fryer
Contractor: L H McDermott
Description: The building faces north and is a two story brown colored stone structure. The structure was initially built as the Creek National Capitol, and was later converted into the Okmulgee County Courthouse. When the current Okmulgee County Courthouse was erected in 1916, this building in the middle of the town square was converted back into the Creek National Capitol.
Photos taken 2010