Alfalfa County is named for William Henry David “Alfalfa Bill” Murray, who was the ninth Governor of the State of Oklahoma.
Created: November 16, 1907
Cherokee 1907 – present
County Courthouse – Cherokee
Location: 300 South Grand Avenue / East 3rd Street
Built: 1920 – 1921
Architect: Tonini and Bramblet
Contractor: Charles M Dunning
Description: The building faces west and is a three story gray colored stone structure. The west front has horizontal stone on the first story. Four large columns rise from second story to the top of the third story with recessed windows in the center section. There is a wide cornice below the flat roof line.
See: The architect, Tonini and Bramblet ( and associates ), designed courthouses in Kansas in Crawford County and Oklahoma in Cotton County, Major County, Okmulgee County, Payne County, Tillman County and Wooward County.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Alfalfa County Courthouse
S – Major County
W – Woods County
Photos taken 2010