Fayette County is named for Gilbert du Motier, Marquis de La Fayette, who was a French general and politician and who fought in the American Revolutionary War.
Created: December 20, 1824
Fayette 1824 – present
County Courthouse – Fayette
Location: 113 Temple Avenue North / Columbus Street West
Built: 1911 – 1912
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: J E Wilbanks
Contractor: Little-Cleckler Construction Company of Anniston
Description: The building faces east and is a two story yellow colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The east front has a large portico supported by four large columns rising to a pediment. Behind the pediment, the center section rises above the roof line with two gold colored domes at each end. The corners of the building project slightly and rise to pediments. On the center of the roof is a large square white dome with gold colored roof containing a clock and with small cupola at the top. During construction, J E Wilbank was the superintendent as well as the architect.
See: Little-Cleckler Construction Company of Anniston, Alabama also constructed courthouses in Alabama in Jackson County and Limestone County; in Georgia in Bleckley County, Clarke County, Lincoln County and Walker County; and in Mississippi in Franklin County, Lawrence County, Walthall County and Webster County
See: The courthouse in Union County, Mississippi is similar in design but had a different architect.
Note: The first courthouse was a log structure built at Haley’s Creek in 1824. The second courthouse was built in 1826 and burned in 1866. The third courthouse built in 1866 burned in 1911.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Fayette Courthouse District
County Office Building – Fayette
Location: 118 First Avenue NW / Columbus Street West
Built: 1964 – 1965
Architect: Charles H McCauley Associates
Contractor: Renfroe Constructiopn Company
Description: The building faces east and is a three story yellow colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The rectangular building is located in the center of the city to the west of the courthouse and has an entrance at south side of the east front and at the north side. Above the entrances are glass panels. There is a recessed rectangular section on the north side. The roof line is flat. The building also houses the jail.
N – Marion County
E – Walker County
W – Lamar County
County Office Building
Photos taken 2010 and 2018