Tuscaloosa County is named for the Tuscaloosa River, which is named after the Mississippian paramount chief Tuskaloosa whose name meant “Black Warrior” in Muskogen.
Created: February 6, 1818
Newtown 1818 – 1819
Tuscaloosa 1819 – 1822
Newtown 1822 – 1826
Tuscaloosa 1826 – present
County Courthouse – Tuscaloosa
Location: 714 Greensboro Avenue / 7th Street
Built: 1963 – 1964
Architect: Charles H McCauley
Contractor: Daniel Construction Company of Alabama
Description: The building faces east and is a seven story concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The northeast and southeast corner sections project from the main building and rise four stories. The east front has a small canopy over the first story entrance. Above rises a vertical window section to the roof line. The windows are vertical. The roof line is flat..
Note: The first courthouse was a small building built in 1820 close to the corner of Fourth Street and 22nd Avenue in Tuscaloosa. The second courthouse was the Masonic Hall and in 1822 the third courthouse was built in Newtown. The courthouse was moved to Tuscaloosa when the county seat was changed and was destroyed by a tornado in 1842. The fourth courthouse was a hotel on University Boulevard on the site of the Tuscaloosa City Hall. The fifth courthouse was constructed in 1845. The sixth courthouse was constructed in 1907 to 1908 on the site of the present courthouse and was designed by William Earnest Spink and constructed by Carrigan & Lynn. The seventh courthouse was the old McLester Hotel during construction of the present courthouse from 1962 to 1964.
Photos taken 2010 and 2018