Franklin County is named for Benjamin Franklin, who was a signer of the Declaration of Independence and who lived from 1706 to 1790.
Created: December 21, 1809
West Meadville 1809 – 1819
Meadville 1819 – present
County Courthouse – Meadville
Location: 36 Main Street / Walnut Street
Built: 1913 – 1914
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Noah Webster Overstreet of Spencer Overstreet & Paine
Contractor: Little-Cleckler Construction Company of Anniston, Alabama.
Description: The building faces north and is a two story dark red colored brick structure.The north front has two stone pillars on either side of the central entrance which has a stone canopy. The roof has a wide overhang and is sloped with red shingles. The east and west wings are recessed. In 1958, an addition was added to the south side. The architect was Overstreet, Ware & Ware and the contractor was Southern Construction Company. In 1969, the building was renovated. The architect was John Bishop Seavey and the contractor was Druetta Construction Company.
See: The architect, Noah Webster Overstreet of Jackson, also designed courthouses in Alcorn County, Bolivar County, Choctaw County, Franklin County, Pontotoc County, Prentiss County, Rankin County, Tippah County and Webster County.
See: Little-Cleckler Construction Company of Anniston, Alabama also constructed courthouses in Alabama in Fayette County, Jackson County and Limestone County; in Georgia in Bleckley County, Clarke County, Lincoln County and Walker County; and in Mississippi in Lawrence County, Walthall County and Webster County.
E – Lincoln County
W – Adams County
Photos taken 2011