Walthall County is named for Edward Clay Walthall, who was a general in the Confederate States Army during the American Civil War and a postbellum United States Senator from Mississippi.
Created: March 16, 1910
Tylertown 1910 – present
County Courthouse – Tylertown
Location: 200 Ball Avenue / Magnolia Avenue
Built: 1916 – 1917
Style: Neo-Classical and Mediterranean style
Architect: Xavier A Kramer of McComb
Contractor: Little-Cleckler Construction Company of Anniston, Alabama
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick structure. The south front has four large white columns rising to the second story. The central entrance has a small canopy. The roof eaves are wide. The east and west wings are recessed. The red colored roof is sloped. The building was renovated in 1974 to 1975. The architect was Lynton B Cooper Associates and the contractor was Columbia Construction Corporation.
See: Little-Cleckler Construction Company of Anniston, Alabama also constructed courthouses in Alabama in Fayette County, Jackson County and Limestone County; in Georgia in Bleckley County, Clarke County, Lincoln County and Walker County; and in Mississippi in Franklin County, Lawrence County and Webster County.
Note: At 807 Magnolia Avenue is the County Court Building.
N – Lawrence County
E – Marion County
S – Washington Parish, Louisiana
W – Pike County
Photos taken 2011