Webster County is named for Daniel Webster, who was a statesman, senator and the United States Secretary of State.
Created: April 6, 1874
Walthall 1874 – present
County Courthouse – Walthall ( demolished )
Location: NW – Courthouse Square / Carroll Street
Built: 1915 – 1916
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Overstreet, Spencer and Paine
Contractor: Little-Cleckler Construction Company of Anniston, Alabama
Description: The building faced east and was a two story buff colored brick structure. The east front had a central entrance which was framed with small overhang above. There were four vertical pilasters with windows between. The second story had large arched windows. The north and south sections projected slightly. The roof was sloped. The building was renovated in 1974. The architect was McRee Durdman Kennington and the contractor was Hollowman and Gray. The building was modified in 2004. The architect was Belinda Stewart Architects of Eupora and the contractor was Sam Oswalt & Son Inc. The building burned on January 17, 2013 and the ruins were demolished. On the west side is the old jail red colored brick which is used as the town office.
See: The architect, Noah Webster Overstreet of Jackson, also designed courthouses in Alcorn County, Bolivar County, Choctaw County, Franklin County, Pontotoc County, Prentiss County, Rankin County and Tippah County.
See: Little-Cleckler Construction Company of Anniston, Alabama also constructed courthouses in Alabama in Fayette County, Jackson County and Limestone County; in Georgia in Bleckley County, Clarke County, Lincoln County and Walker County; and in Mississippi in Franklin County, Lawrence County and Walthall County.
Note: The firm of JH&H Architects of Brandon have prepared plans for a new two story red colored brick structure.
Temporary County Courthouse – Eupora
Location: 16 East Fox Avenue / Veterans Memorial Drive
Description: The building faces north and is a one story buff colored brick and wood frame structure. The roof line is flat. The building contains a small courtroom.
Community Center – Eupora
Location: 390 West Clark Street / North Dunn Street
Architect: James C Lee & Associates
Description: The building faces west and is a one story flagstone and wood structure. The building is located on the south side of the City Hall. The entrance on the west front has a stone arch. The roof is hipped. The large hall is now used as the county courtroom.
S – Choctaw County
Courthouse after 2013 fire
Photos taken 2012 and 2017