Jackson County is named for Andrew Jackson, who was the 7th President of the United States from 1829 to 1837.
Created: December 13, 1819
Sauta Cave 1819 – 1820
Sauta 1820 – 1828
Bellefonte 1828 – 1868
Scottsboro 1868 – present
County Courthouse – Scottsboro
Location: 102 East Laurel Street / South Broad Street
Built: 1912 – 1913
Architect: Richard H Hunt
Contractor: Little-Cleckler Construction Company of Anniston, Alabama
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The center section has a portico on the north and south sides supported by four columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The east and west wings extend from the main building. On the center of the roof is a square white cupola with clock and gold dome at the top. The building was renovated in 1954. The architect was Charles H McCauley and the contractor was Construction Engineers, Inc. In 1967 and 1968 the wings were added.
See: Little-Cleckler Construction Company of Anniston, Alabama also constructed courthouses in Alabama in Fayette County and Limestone County; in Georgia in Bleckley County, Clarke County, Lincoln County and Walker County; and in Mississippi in Franklin County, Lawrence County, Walthall County and Webster County.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Public Square Historicasl Site
Old County Courthouse – Scottsboro
Location: 208 South Houston Street / Peachtree Street
Description: The building faces south and is a one story red colored brick and wood structure. The rectangular building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city to the west of the courthouse and has a hipped roof. The building was located in Bellefonte and served as the courthouse until 1871. The building was moved to Scottsboro and is located at the Jackson County Heritage Museum.
W – Madison County
Old County Courthouse
Photos take 2010 and 2014