Union County is named for the United States.
Created: July 7, 1870
New Albany 1870 – present
County Courthouse – New Albany
Location: 116 Bankhead Street East / Camp Avenue
Built: 1909 – 1910
Style: Classical revival and Beaux Arts
Architect: H E Ostling of Montgomery, Alabama
Contractor: F E Dobson & Company
Description: The building faces northeast and is a two story buff colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The northeast front has a large portico with four columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. Behind the portico on either side, are square towers rising above the roof line and having low domes. There are similar but narrower porticos on the northwest and southeast sides of the building. On the north and east corners of the building are projecting pavilions rising to pediments at the roof line. On the center of the roof is a large square green colored dome with clock and lantern with golden eagle at the top. The roof is hipped. The building was renovated in 1994. The architect was George A Thomason of Olive Branch and the contractor was Vanderheyden Construction Company. The building was further renovated in 2005. The architect was George A Thomason of Olive Branch and the contractor was Griffin Classic Builders, Inc. of Ripley. On the south side is the County Jail constructed in 1939.
See: The courthouse in Fayette County, Alabama is similar in design but had a different architect.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Alfred Zucjer and constructed by Zukor & Company in 1882.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Union County Courthouse
S – Pontotoc County
Photos taken 2012 and 2017